You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
DMoneyTM

Can't install due to graphic card error?

I am trying to download SL, but I keep getting the error that it "couldnt run becuase your video card drivers did not install properly...etc."  I know many people have gotten this error but I'm wondering if there is a fix?  I am on windows 7 with a Radeon X300/X550/X1050 driver.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Resident
Rich Madeye

Re: Can't install due to graphic card error?

Reply to DMoneyTM - view message

I had the same problem. I had to totally uninstall my video driver, use a driver sweeper then reinstall the drivers.

Recognized Resident
DMoneyTM

So i would go into my device driver, right click on them and uninstall?  That wouldnt turn my screen totally off?  Also can u recommend a good drive sweeper?  Sorry but I'm new to all this.

Honored Resident
Fal Avedon

To answer your first question, yes, that would uninstall the display drivers for your video card. However, that would not get rid of any leftover files and such. That's what a driver sweeper is for.

To answer your second question, no, it won't shut your screen off. It may go black momentarily, but it will come back on. Windows comes with a generic display driver, and if you uninstalled your video card's specific drivers, your machine will revert back to using the generic ones packaged with Windows. So you will still have screen functionality, but the generic drivers most likely won't be able to utilize the full capabilities of your video card (ie, any games you may play will have a noticable performance drop).

I hear that Guru3d makes a fairly good driver sweeper. You can download it here. I have not used their driver sweeper, so I do not know how capable it is.

However, I have a program called Revo Uninstaller. You can find their webpage here. Revo can uninstall the driver as well as search for any leftover files. I've used it and can vouch its effectivity. Bit of advice, though; Revo is shareware. But you can run a 30-day free trial with it.

** Internet tough guys -- srs bsns. **
Recognized Resident
DMoneyTM

Ok great.....another question, how would i go about reinstalling my Radeon x300/x550/x1050 drivers after i uninstall them?  Woud i need the windows 7 disc or....

Honored Resident
Fal Avedon

I read up on their website for the display driver that includes the X300, X550, and X1050, and it says it is not officially supported on Windows 7, since the driver is a Vista driver. It goes on to say, however, that you can install them at your own risk.

Before you do that, what type of machine do you have -- mobile or desktop? And do you know what specific model of card you have? That will help narrow it down.    

Recognized Resident
DMoneyTM

I have a desktop, and I upgraded last year from Windows XP to Windows 7 and the graphics werent affected.   I'm not sure on the exact model of card...Where would I find that?

Honored Resident
Fal Avedon

You can find that in the Device Manager. To open this, press Winkey + R (which brings up the Run dialogue), and type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes. In the window that appears, open the branch labeled "Display adapters", and what is under this branch should be your video card.

Recognized Resident
DMoneyTM

Ok cool just wanted to be sure, it reads:

Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Honored Resident
Fal Avedon

Alrighty then. From what I see, the latest driver for that series -- Catalyst 10.2 -- is on this page on AMD's website.

As stated before, however, the drivers for that series of card are not supported under Windows 7. The website states,

Please be aware that none of the new Windows 7 graphics driver (WDDM 1.1) features are supported (as the Windows Vista level graphics driver is limited to WDDM 1.0 level support).

So this means the drivers may work, but you may not have all the features with which it comes packed.

Report back afterwards and let us know how it went!