System Clothes replaced by Fitted Mesh?

Darkthrop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I heard a rumor recently that LL is planning to do away with System Clothes completely in favor of Fitted Mesh once the Fitted Mesh system is perfected. How much truth is there to this rumor, and what does it mean for people who refuse to wear Mesh clothing for personal reasons? I'd like some clarification on this. I personally have hundreds of US dollars poured into shopping for system clothes, and for LL to force a change on us that would effect so very much....it seems unreal. My friend claims she has relatives in the Lindens and knows this for a fact. I know that 99% of people who claim to have relatives who are Lindens are lying or bluffing, but there's always the 1% chance that someone is related to a Linden. I mean, Lindens are real people and have families too, right?

5 answers to this question

Darkthrop wrote:

I heard a rumor recently that LL is planning to do away with System Clothes completely in favor of Fitted Mesh once the Fitted Mesh system is perfected.

Hi Darkthrop,

We're residents, just like you, and so have no insider knowledge.

There are two ways (at least) to look at this rumor...

1) Linden Lab isn't so stupid as to pull the rug from under the vast majority of residents and creators. I own one mesh skirt. Thats it. If they eliminate system clothing, I'm either going to wander SL as a bodyless skirt, or leave it entirely.

The rumor is false, and there's nothing to worry about.

2) LL hasn't perfected anything since it was founded. They haven't even gotten close. So, they'll never perfect Fitted Mesh.

The rumor is true, and there's nothing to worry about.

;-).

• Like 2

This happens just about every time LL rolls out a new feature - rumors abound that all of the old ones will break.

I personally have hundreds of US dollars poured into shopping for system clothes, and for LL to force a change on us that would effect so very much....

And this is why LL will not do it. Lots of people have invested significant amounts of money in system clothes, old mesh clothes, etc., and to break these - on purpose, no less - will lose them many, many customers. Since they don't want that, they won't do it. Don't worry about it. 

I always believe anyone who says they have relatives in the Lab, and inside knowledge, is lying.  Even if she DID have contacts, hardly anyone in the Lab actually knows what the Lab is or is not going to do next week.  Those few who do know have signed nondisclosure agreements so draconian that if they ever leaked anything to anyone, they would become a small smelly puddle of green goo.

LL will never break that amount of existing content.  No way.

However, there may be a twisted grain of truth in this rumor.  LL has said that they are working on a new virtual world, one which will (they hope) become an even bigger, better, more popular one than Second Life.  It's possible that this new world will have only a mesh clothing system.

If so, I sure hope it is a lot more slick and more flexible than SL's mesh.  I love some mesh clothes, but until they can implement cloth dynamics and some system that allows fine tweaking of the fit, mesh can never completely replace flexiprims and clothing layers.

The above is speculation on my part.  It MIGHT be an explanation for where your friend's rumor comes from, but then again, it may not be.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.