How can I fix my Avatar/Viewer(s)?

Queenship3001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I litterally had no idea where to post this, be it forums or answered or where to post in either areas.

Okay, so Tuesday night things are fine. I have a good day spending time with friends, log off and hit the sack. Wedensayd rolls around and I log in. Mesh isn't loading and my avatar is grey. I figured this was a siple gry skin issue, so I used all the normal methods of fixing that. Then it hit me (after none of those solutions worked). I use a full body mesh avatar. Greyskin shouldn't even bothered being fixed since It SHOULD be covered anyway! Looking around I saw, not only was the mesh on my avi not loading, but neither was the mesh in my environment around me loading! I tried to get a hold of one of my friends to help, only come to find out my friends list was full of contacts reading "(Loading....)" The could contact me however, and when they did, the name space was blank. When they typed, it came up as "[NAME] is typing...". By now I'm more than a little annoyed. Suddenly I notice a THIRD issue! My name tag is messed up! Normall I have Usernames off, Display names on, and group tags on. Group tags were on, with user names turned off, they came on, and display names off removed my name tag all together! Worried my account was under seige, I changed my password and went from there (little help that did, but I was just taking a safety measure.) Fed up, I got on my laptop and logged in to sl there. Everything was normal. Mesh worked, avis loaded, name tags working, contacts with actual names. So I wondered if, on my main pc, if it was my viewer. So, I did a clean re-install of my viewer (I use Firestorm) thinking it would be fixed, saving ONLY my chat logs and deleting everything else from my Application Data and the installation directory left after uninstalling. I then install to the latest version and, to my shock, everything was still broken. Furious I installed Singulartiy viewer. Same result. Exodus, nothing. Main Second Life Viewer, nada. One thing I noticed was every time I logged in to any viewer it always had to make three region capability requests. I guess by this point it's an issue with my pc and I'm just praying SOMEONE has had issues like the above and can help! If this is in the forums or on another answer, please direct me. I'm out of ideas.

1 answer to this question

All of those are symptoms of an unreliable Internet connection.  The root cause could be in any one of several places.  If you have been using wireless, for example, don't >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823 .  If it has been a while since you rebooted your router and modem, take time to do it now.  Unplug both from the power for a few minutes, then plug them back in and restart your computer. Consider adding different DNS servers to whatever is currently in the list provided by your ISP.  (See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/dns_fail  .  Look at the symptoms listed in the Mac section.  They can appear on any computer, not just Macs.)  Read more suggestions for improving your Internet connection here >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.