Completely lost with how to properly edit my avatar appearance!

myeuphoria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

I just started playing SL today. Since I'm a teen (and don't have a credit card yet), I went onto the marketplace to find free stuff. Finding stuff was fun until I found difficulty putting them on my avatar. I just don't get the system of editing the appearance. Therefore, I have so many questions on my mind right now...

What is a mesh? What is it used for? When I replace a mesh, why doesn't it change anything?

Why is it that when I wear some certain attachments, they don't seem to work at all (like no change to my character at all?) I also try to apply tattoos, but they don't work? How do I edit the face of my character? (someone said you could edit the specifics of your avatar's face by using sliders but I have no idea where the function is).

I've already read all the guides here, but I still don't get it, nor understand how I can properly edit my avatar appearance.

I really need help. I don't get anything at all. Can someone explain this in an easy, clear, understandable way to a newbie like me? All help is greatly appreciated! :smileyhappy:

1 answer to this question

Welcome to Second Life.

I suggest that you start with a non mesh avatar. You can go back to mesh latter if you want to. Mesh avatars are quite new and most of the guides you read will not apply to them.

Go to the Me menu and select Choose an avatar. Then select the Classic tab and choose one of them. It doesn't really matter that much which one you can customize everything.

You should now find that when you right click on yourself and select Edit My Shape the sliders work, including the face.

On the classic avatar you have two things that work together for your appearance, skin and shape. The best results come when you make them together this is an advance subject, look in the marketplace for skin and shape combinations. You should find some free ones.

That should be enough to get you going. Try that and then come back if you have more questions.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.