Can I change my RESIDENT surname to another one?

Orgullo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a vague memory that I read that could change my RESIDENT surname to another one of my choice. Not my display name, my account name. However, I can not find anything to tell me how to do this.

Do I have a false memory? Or are my serach powers pretty rubbish?

More importantly, if I can change my account surname from RESIDENT, could you please advise me how to do so?

Many thanks.

PS I joined SL after 2010.

1 answer to this question

No, sorry. You cannot change your ACCOUNT name. All last names are RESIDENT. Even if you create an alt, you'll still have Resident as last name.

From the KB:

In Second Life, you have:

• username, your unique Second Life account name that you choose when you register your account.  Once chosen, you cannot change your username.
  • display name shown to others inworld and on your profile.  You can change your display name as often as once a week.  In addition, you can always reset it to its default, your username.

Your username and your display name are totally separate.  If you haven't set a display name, then it defaults to your username.

Usernames

Your username is the unique account name or account ID you use to log into Second Life. By default, it appears above your avatar inworld and identifies you to other Second Life Residents. You can also set a display name that appears above your username.

The format of your username depends on when you registered the account

In 2010, Second Life changed from registering new accounts with a "first name" and "last name" to a single-word username  If you registered your account after mid-2010, you created a unique, single-word username; for example: mortimer1980, or jsmith57.  When you log in to Second Life, you simply enter the  username you selected when you registered. 

If you created your Second Life account before mid-2010, you have a Second Life "first name" and "last name" that determine your username as follows:firstname.lastname.  For example, if your Second Life name was originally Joe Smith when you joined, your username is joe.smith.

Your username is a unique and personal account identifier in Second Life, and as such, once you choose it you cannot change it.  

However, you can change your display name as often as once a week.  Your display name appears above your username by default and is a flexible way to identify yourself to other Second Life Residents.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.