Thinking of starting a photography business

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

So my SO and I are thinking of starting up a photography business. Neither of us have ever had a business before so excuse the newbie question here. :P

So how do photographers get paid? Like we want to set up a little area for the business, but can you do some sort of vendor system or is it usually like, getting paid upfront before you start your work? My SO seems to think that we can just put up a vendor when we're done with the picture and they pay whatever the price is to get it, but I honestly don't know if any photographers do that or if it's the best way.

Also is there any recommendations on what sort of photo studio to use and any other things we might need? If we're going to do this, I'd like it to be done correctly.

Thanks! <3

Firstly, you'll need a portfolio to show people an example of the quality of your work.  A Flickr page would do.  Secondly, start offering people free profile photos, but only if they will mention that you were the one who took it in their profile.  Other than that, I've no idea, since I'm not in the business of offering my photography skills.

Perhaps someone will come along that is more knowledgeable than I.

...Dres

I think it is important to remember that a good portion of SL folks consider themselves photographers :D

Most photography studios close after a few months. Some long time ones hold things like contests where folks pay to vote for their friend's photos and such -- assumably they make money that way.

So all well and good to have a studio for fun, but don't expect to get rich off of it. Just enjoy the experience.

The "best" system would be a "pay for a voucher" which quite a few photographers use. Look around at other studios and see what they charge and how they work. See what fits your temperament and go from there.

Well, I suppose that's good to know, regardless of it kind of being a letdown. I mean I kind of figured it might be that way. I think we'll still edit pictures for fun and maybe if we're lucky something might come of it if we get friends that want profile pictures or something. I dunno.

I keep trying to find ways for us to make some money but it doesn't seem to come easy. I don't want to work in the adult industry, been there done that and these days you gotta write out a novel of an emote to get a job anywhere and it's all based on luck if you get tips.

I wish I had some sort of skill that could help bring in lindens, but let's face it, I'm not good at anything really lol.

I know the easiest way is just to buy lindens but if we're not careful we might spend too much, buying things can get rather addicting. So I was hoping to find some way to make lindens without having to spend RL money anymore.

Guess we'll just have to see how things go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heya, hope I'm not late lol

You need a killer pc, good editing skills and continue to practice editing like crazy (all the time, every day), a good selection of poses (I have few thousands) and clearly written publicly available price list with a few rules of how you do your business. Start with your friends and pile-up photos on Flickr, which should give you some exposure and if you're any good new people will notice you and ask to do their photos. 

As for the money, ask for half the payment in advance and other half when you show them finished photo. Make sure you watermark it. You can put a texture in a contents of a prim, set prim for sale and leave it for your customer to buy, or simply hand them when you see them in person. 

In the beginning you will need to advertise alot, after some time, if you're good and lucky, every person that has a photo in their profile made by you will be your walking ad :) Feel free to check links in my signature and see how I did it with mine, and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.