New upload formats: MOD (module format), GIF, ANIMATED PNG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

take a look here and vote if you want:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6436

Instead of using music 44.1 Khz-16 bit-and no longer than 10 seconds,

Why not use a MOD (module format):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_%28file_format%29

there are many free editors to make music in MOD format, for example:
https://code.google.com/p/klystrack/

A music artist should not worry about the upload chunking, and should not worry about "putting together all the chunks and make it work with a script".

And many Artists that works with Mod format, could join SL to sell their work instead of using other market places

The same thing about animated textures, as a painter i would not worry about the lsl code to make work an animated gif on a prim, i just want to upload a GIF (or at least an animated PNG),

• Like 1

Wouldn't MOD (and derivative formats) playback cause a somewhat significant processing overhead? We're not talking playing a single, 10 sec. monaural PCM sound anymore, but multiple simultaneous samples in a potentially high number of tracks, each with advanced, real-time sequencing parameters (volume, pan, pitch), plus effects...

Jenni Darkwatch wrote: [...]
 though I can't see why LL would add this unless there was a way to script this in-world. Otherwise I fail to see how it adds value.

Indeed. I suspect more straightforward and far more popular formats (either WAV, MP3 or OGG) with longer durations and perhaps in stereo, will be a much wider request than specialized, sequenced music formats.

I never uunderstood why people need to play full songs when its obviously intended for short clips and action sounds..they have a media stream for a reason lol

On another note. Downloading a crap ton of full length stuff would make SL feel more bogged down ;(

Completely different thing, stream and in-world music.

Just to give one example: I have a (wearable) harp in-world, which happens to be playable and programmable with ABC files. _IF_ inworld tools provided "MOD-like" abilities of pitch shifting and the like, people would not have to download 47 wave files. They'd download one, and scripting would tell the client what pitch to play.

That's just ONE example, obviously there's more to all that than just note shifting. Keeping in mind MOD was created PRECISELY because of memory limitations, SL _could_ in theory benefit from it. It has absolutely zero to do with anything streamable. So far the theory.

The issue I see is that a) most creators haven't got the skill to use any such capability and b) it'd require adding to LSL _and_ making changes to the client. The Lindens have enough to do as it is, so b) is not going to happen especially with a) in mind.

Not to mention the MOD format and derivatives are as dead as a doornail these days. Thus implementing straight MOD, even though SL's FMOD library supports it, is rather pointless.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.