Multi face frame

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I've been invited recently to exhibit some of my artworks in 2 galleries. For those ones, since i won't have a lot of new pics, i wanted to take that opportunity to display my pics at their original size wich is way more than 1024 pixels (between 3000 and 4600 pixels on the larger side).

Thus i started to divide my original pics in 4 pieces and just tried with local textures, on 4 prims linked together.

My problem is i cant get ride of the thin line between the prims. I tried to make the sides transparent. I tried to modifly the repetition of the pics to 0.995 till 0.999, i tried to modify vertical and horizontal position of each face. I even tried to make a mesh frame with 4 faces but its even worst.

Sometimes, i get the line if i come close with my cam, and not from far. Sometimes it's the contrary, i don't see the line when looking from close but i see it if i put my camera about farer.

I think there must be some frame with 4faces on the front side, but i cant find any of them on the mp (well im only at page 34)

Does someone know if i can find smth to buy to solve my problem, or can someone help me giving me a lil trick to get ride of those pesky lines ?

thank you in advance.

hi thank you for your answer

i did that. but lines are even more obvious.

however, it seems that after hours twerking the textures setting on the 4 prims frame, i reached to make match both upper prims.

So now i have to see if i can reproduce this miracle for the bottom prims and do it for the other pictures without spending monthes on that. 

i cropped my pic parts a bit larger too, (just some pixels more) so i dont know if this helped or not. i ll have to retry with the first crop version.

Well this is way a lot more hours of work that i wanted to deed for that initially... lol

ETA : Argggh ! when i put my camera far from the frame, i still see a thin line... :(

I made a test with mesh plane, subdivided into four faces, each face was assigned a separate material in Blender. Other test with four prim cubes. I applied seamless texture on the four subdivided mesh plane faces and I applied the same seamless texture on the four prim faces.

So, there are four individual textures on the mesh plane and each cube face an invidual texture. The result is that there is no visible seam at all; not between the mesh plane faces and not between the prim faces. Here's the snapshot:

Four-texture-surfaces_001.jpg

I guess what might happen in your case Trinity.  When you cut the textures and apply them to prim or mesh faces the pixels on the cut line do not align exactly. Therefore you see the line.

There's also one thing: if your cut textures are not eaxactly sizes of power of two then when you upload them to SL the viewer will resize them to the nearest power of two sizes. This most likely will also cause that the pixels along the cut line do not align exactly.

The images you upload should be the exact sizes given here:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_sizes 

Then the viewer is happy and will not touch their sizes but uploads them as they are.

PS.
I can zoom in and out, change the lighting conditions and still no seam is visible. Perfect.

thank you Coby. 

well i guess its different when its about a seamless texture and a non seamless texture.

As you know, my pic's parts are not seamless.

i get what u say about the size, and yes, its probable, this is the problem.

My original textures are not multiple of 1024 either, so well i still can expand the canvas, then crop at 1024 with a color all around and play with the textures settings inworld.

I think that maybe that will work.

but for now, its way too much energy for what i wanted to make. someone came this afternoon and adjust the prims better than i did, so the lines are almost imperceptibles when they are visible, and often they are not.

So im going to stay like that and anyway, i will only work on 2 or 3 textures for that. 

I thought it would be easier and less time consuming when i got that idea. i wasted almost my whole day on that, smth that i cant afford lol. so Ill keep that in mind and will work on your solution soon.

Thank you Coby :)

• 1 month later...

Here below is part of a fourm post I saved to my harddrive 6 years ago that explains how to create copies of a prim perfecty next to each other. I haven't tested it lately. Maybe it still works.

Somebody showed me a building trick a while ago for perfectlyaligning copied prims next to each other, but I've forgottenthe sequence. Can someone remind me? It's something like:> SHift-drag to make the copy> Zoom in on the edge you want the new copy to join with> Hit 'magic keys'> Poof ... your copy is exactly next to the original*now it's driving me crazy, grrrr*While still in edit mode with the prim you want to copy, clickon the create tab and put a check in the Copy Selection box aswell as the Center Copy box. Now carefully select the face ofthe prim where you want the copy to sprout from and click onit. When doing walls, or any other thin edge, ZOOM in tightfirst :-) After creating your copied prim, uncheck the CopySelection, otherwise things can get interesting if youaccidentally click on other objects :-)

thank you both.

Well for now i gave up this idea bec the problem is also on the size of the picture. After some math explanation from a friend, and since my original size are not all the same and not multiple of 1024 X 1024, it appears i have to rescale the canvas in pshop with a multiple of 1024, then center my pic on it and cut the pieces in a size that will match with SL ones as Coby explained and then adjust the pics on every prims with the texture tab tools.

Too much maths for me now, as i am a lot busy on other things.

Ill keep the 2 methods above to align the prims and will work on the size of the pieces of the pics, but later. I'm not a math person, and no doubt this step with the size of the pics will give me migrains lol. So i keep this for a quieter time.

Thank you everyone for your help. It helped a lot :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.