I am interested in becoming a DJ in SL, I'm a complete beginner with this, can anyone help me out?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to host my own radio stream, with no talking though (I'm very uncomfortable with my voice). However, I'm not sure what software to use, where in SL to stream it at where people will actually listen, or anything like that. Any software needed must be free or available for pirating because I'm a broke college student, haha. Please can someone help me through this process? Please and thank you! :)

queenofcarrotflowers wrote:

I want to host my own radio stream, with no talking though (I'm very uncomfortable with my voice). However, I'm not sure what software to use, where in SL to stream it at where people will actually listen, or anything like that. Any software needed must be free or
available for pirating
because I'm a broke college student, haha. Please can someone help me through this process? Please and thank you!
:)

Way to talk about breaking the law in your third post... 24/7 streaming will devour bandwith unless you have an incredible connection i wouldn't stream and run SL at the same time.

If you get a player you need to set up a stream on shoutcast, which costs money. Steaming in SL is usually done by DJs at clubs or venues. Not 24/7 for kicks. People wont just tune their land to your stream for no reason. You have to either have your own land, work at a club or offer to stream for a store. I have done all three, I streamed from a second PC that was only used for that purpose.

Radio without talking ? There´s 1000 of stations alredy, no one needs another.

Running 24/7 would need aloooot music and a good planning.

Again, if you cannot afford the software or the stream, nor buy the music or apply for a radio license - NO !

This can causes serious troubles costing you 1000s US$, so just not worth it.

Monti

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well a few things that some of the above posters forgot to mention.

1.) SAM has an auto DJ plugin available that allows you to upload music to a cloud server and stream WITHOUT eating up your bandwidth.

2.)You can do quite well with them but if you're inexperienced with DJing in general you should really cut your teeth in clubs and get very comfortable with streaming in general

3.) You don't HAVE to talk as a DJ in a club but it's one of those things that will really enhcance your sets and set you apart from other DJs

There's a few other conerns such as royalties, etc. You can actually find a few VERY inexpensive site that will take care of all royalty fees for you for a packaged deal and monthly rate depending on your listener size. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.