How to split a .wav using Audacity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Go to Analyze>Regular interval Labels

time to place first: 0, placement method: label interval, label interval: 9.9 seconds. (you can add some decimal places if you like, but keep the length a little bit under 10.0 for best results in SL), Add final label: yes, adjust label interval to fit length: no then hit OK

Go to File>Export Multiple

split files based on labels

and that should do it to it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 years later...
7 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You could double-check that the exported file actually has the correct format, either by inspecting the file in Windows or reopening the file in Audacity and making sure the values stick.

Just checked it in Audacity and it is a WAV file in 16 bit and 44.1 Khz. So frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

@Johnny Giotto Looking at your time line in Audacity the audio appears to be well over 30 seconds long. You have 2 minutes and 45+ seconds showing. The 2:15 is a give away that the display has changed to minutes and seconds. Plus the thick concentration of audio waves indicates you are zoomed out.

The max length of an audio file in SL is 30 seconds. Which is what the warning message is telling you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Yeah, I was under the assumption that OP was actually using those labels to export the original file to multiple clips for bulk-upload.

The labels won't do anything for SL, you need to upload separate files for each section of the sound.

So maybe they missed the whole bit about

On 1/4/2015 at 7:58 AM, Cerise Sorbet said:

Go to File>Export Multiple

split files based on labels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Johnny Giotto Looking at your time line in Audacity the audio appears to be well over 30 seconds long. You have 2 minutes and 45+ seconds showing. The 2:15 is a give away that the display has changed to minutes and seconds. Plus the thick concentration of audio waves indicates you are zoomed out.

The max length of an audio file in SL is 30 seconds. Which is what the warning message is telling you.

So, just to confirm, I split them up into 30 second segments or 10 second segments?  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Giotto said:

So, just to confirm, I split them up into 30 second segments or 10 second segments?  Thanks.

I think the responses earlier indicated:

16 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

..30 seconds is max. That doesn't mean you cannot split them smaller.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Giotto said:

Thanks Nalates, so the limit is still 10 seconds.

That kind of explains why Extrude Ragu's program uses 9.9 seconds..don't want to ACTUALLY use EXACTLY 10 seconds!  I had seen this before but forgot.

The page at the link also says: "You're advised to cut longer sounds into 9.9-second-pieces."

21 hours ago, Johnny Giotto said:

Thanks Nalates, so the limit is still 10 seconds.

21 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That kind of explains why Extrude Ragu's program uses 9.9 seconds..don't want to ACTUALLY use EXACTLY 10 seconds!  I had seen this before but forgot.

The page at the link also says: "You're advised to cut longer sounds into 9.9-second-pieces."

The wiki (and the knowledge base article) seems to be out of date (I don't think "441,000 samples" was ever correct). 30 seconds is accepted perfectly fine.

To test this, I took an audio file and converted it to PCM WAV (signed 16bit) with 44100 bitrate and one audio channel (because SL sounds have to be mono).

The thing you have to watch out for (and the reason why 9.9 was suggested), is that most media players don't show accurate duration, or round it to some fraction. The file I tested with was originally 30.039 seconds long (meaning it would show as 00:30 or 30.0 despite being longer), so I had to cut it to exactly 30.0.

I have updated the wiki, and linked to the knowledge base article. Someone at @Linden Lab should probably update it regarding the 30 second audio limit.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 2

An update on my attempts.....

I got everything done in Audacity, did the notecard, copied the UUIDs (using the editor hud) and then it failed right at the end stating that the format of the UUIDs was wrong. I think I might give up.
Thank you to everyone for all the help offered, it was really appreciated. 👍

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.