Best Viewer for Photography in 2014?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know a viewer that is excellent for photography? Kirstens Viewer is discontinued as is Nirans/Black Dragon Viewer (the system requirements were too high anyway). I have seen the Firestorm Viewer with Phototools but I don't know if it can create the decent photorealism I desire. I don't know what to think of Exodus viewer; it has more combat oriented features than photography features it seems. And, I have heard that development on Exodus is super slow.

Actually, Black Dragon is TPV now

This shot is Black Dragon:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jredstar/14145888403/

This is Firestorm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jredstar/13585667993/

Both got post, but not alot of differennce at least in day light

L like BD especialy for night shots and the tone mapping is awesome, ad also, I like the BD UI way more,  though that is a personal preference

Emerald Ansome wrote:

But BD still requires 6gb of ram. My current computer can only handle 4gb at most. Also, it requires a quad core CPU which I don't have as well as a super expensive gpu.

That's the recommended setup for Black Dragon, not the required setup. It should run on your current computer. However, most viewers are very similar "under the hood." If those specifications are much higher than your computer is capable of you probably won't be able to get photorealistic results with any viewer.

Well, the recommended setup must run BD without lag. It should also be noted that my current computer's psu handles 250 watts at most. I am planning on asking for a new computer for my birthday soon. I can't stand the one I already have only allowing 4gb RAM max even though it is a 64-bit machine.

What do you mean by "If those specifications are much higher than your computer is capable of?" Are you talking about the minimum requirements? Or are you implying that my computer won't handle photorealism?

The requirements and my current setup tell me that I will not have a smooth experience from the get-go.

I am actually compelled by the features of the Phototools suite that comes with Firestorm. I think the only difference between it and BD, judging by the photos you supplied, is that the graphics in BD are softer. Can you still make decent nighttime shots with Firestorm, even though you say BD is better suited for such?

It doesn't actually sound like your system will do swimming with "everything on" on most of the viewers. Firestorm has many more options than the default Linden viewer and is a top choice of many photographers and bloggers. There are others of course.

It really depends on what YOU like. I would just cross the LL viewer off the list and go from there LOL.  I cringe when I have to take a photo in that viewer (maybe once a year for necessity).

good luck. 

Opt for a BIG power supply and a great graphics card -- or the best you can afford. Makes a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to read as much information before I start a post... so forgive me if I sidebar.

I am new,  and I downloaded the viewer/game from the SL download.    The camera I use would be the standard snapshot thingy ..  I hate it.   

After viewing the AMAZING photography and art that I see in these daily photos, and contests  I am truly Inspired!  

I want to begin to create these kinds of photos myself.. but where do I start?     Do I buy a camera from the Marketplace?

Do I download this Firestorm I keep reading about?   And If I do..  do I need to Un Install the viewer from SL?

Please forgive my amaturish questions .. but I am eager to get started and probably don't have enough information to ask the proper questions.

ANY advise or suggested reading is Welcome!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.