You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
Dave Bellman

Prepare and convert bvh files for SL the quick and easy way - bvhacker 1.6 released!

Hi all,

I just released the final version of bvhacker, the free to use bvh conversion, preparing, editing and viewing tool.

bvhacker has two uses for Second Life animators:

1) Quickly and easily performing final preparation of animations for upload to Second Life - an automatic workaround for the loop bug, adding the t-stance with just one click, quick and easy centering of your animation, etc

2) Easy conversion of bvh files to a format compatible with Second Life.

You can download bvhacker for free here:

www.bvhacker.com

There is a short tutorial on final preparation of animations for Second Life here:

www.bvhacker.com/tutorial_2.html

and another short tutorial on converting bvh files for SL here:

www.bvhacker.com/tutorial_1.html

the help files are here:

www.bvhacker.com/help.html

It's been nearly three and a half years since I sat down to make an animation tool for converting bvh files for Second Life. bvhacker has finally 'grown up' in this version. New features include:

• Ability to undo last operation
  • Simple resampling (downsamples to half number of frames)
  • Split and enhanced SLify function into to separate functions (Attempt SL bone renaming, Attempt retarget to SL). Joint sizing function now uses quaternion magic for a far smoother conversion of arms axis alignment and joint rotation order
  • Added support for bvh files with position and scale motion data values
  • Separated display of joint offset and motion translation data. Joint offsets now displayed in joint properties and translation data values are displayed on dynamic sliders.
  • Added support to allow the typing in of values for slider X,Y and Z values
  • Added support to allow the typing in of values for slider range
  • Added support to allow the typing in of values for joint offsets in joint properties (X,Y,Z)
  • Added support to allow the typing in of values for frame time
  • Center function: centres the first frame of the animation in X and Z
  • Tidied menu and removed experimental functions
  • Made file open and save dialogs re-sizable
  • Global hips rotation is now possible ('standard' ZXY rotation order hips only)
  • Added figure head to display

There are also a number of bug fixes and 26 new keyboard shortcuts have been added. I have also started a discussion group for support, bug reports and new feature requests here:

groups.google.com/group/bvhacker

Have fun!

:-Dave Bellman (Davedub)

Topics: 5

Re: Prepare and convert bvh files for SL the quick and easy way - bvhacker 1.6 released!

Reply to Dave Bellman - view message

Ooh, Dave!  I was using BVHacker about an hour ago, and every time I use it I think, "Thank you, Dave."

Join date 6 July 2004 -- Mud! Mud! Glorious mud! Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood. So, follow me, follow, down to the hollow, And there let us wallow in glorious mud. -- Flanders and Swann
Honored Resident
Dave Bellman

Re: Prepare and convert bvh files for SL the quick and easy way - bvhacker 1.6 released!

:-) thanks Osprey, is nice to know the work is apprecited!

I see you have already joined the discussion group - if you have any ideas for new features, please do post them!

:-Dave

Medhue Simoni
Topics: 87
Solutions: 11

Ditto!

Personally, I don't have to use it alot but I have used it strictly as a conversion tool to use other programs and even worked with some collada formats. I can totally see needing this more in the future. Thanks for making this, definitely a handy thing considering all the different bone structures out there.