dae or obj to bvh?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Google isn't helping so I thought I would ask here as I bet you guys know.

Is there any utility (free is good but not too expensive is OK too) that will convert a dae or obj file to a bvh? I SO prefer animations in Blender than in the other software I have used.

Thanks for any tips.

Chic Aeon wrote:

Google isn't helping so I thought I would ask here as I bet you guys know.

Is there any utility (free is good but not too expensive is OK too) that will convert a dae or obj file to a bvh? I SO prefer animations in Blender than in the other software I have used.

Thanks for any tips.

BVH(Biovision Hierarchy) is just animation data. OBJ files do not contain animation data, as far as I know. DAE files can contain animation data, but I don't know of any program that will extract it automatically. In Blender, you could import the DAE file, and then use the Blender mocap transfer system to apply that motion to your own skeleton. Other than that, I don't know of any other way. That said, I make my own motion capture files, so I would not really be looking for a converter.

What exactly are you trying to do? If I know better what you trying to do, maybe I can help you more.

I can work in QAvimator and have done so in the past. I SO PREFER to make animations in Blender. For Cloud Party I made them in Blender and exported as a dae which got turned into a daeanim file. Now, once again I need bvh files for importing for animations inworld. I would just prefer working in Blender so I was hoping there was a converter somewhere.

I found reference to one old one but the list of things it DIDN'T do was long and that didn't get me very excited. Maybe I can find another program OR maybe I am "better now" from practice and QAvimator won't be such a pain *wink*.

OK. I did some more looking and found an old thread about FIXING the bvh export. Then I looked again and FOUND the ability in Blender to export bvh. Not sure why I missed it before. So in theory I don't need a converter, I can export straight from Blender. I 'may' need to try different exporting methods.

On my list. It is a long one. :D

Chic Aeon wrote:

OK. I did some more looking and found an old thread about FIXING the bvh export. Then I looked again and FOUND the ability in Blender to export bvh. Not sure why I missed it before. So in theory I don't need a converter, I can export straight from Blender. I 'may' need to try different exporting methods.

On my list. It is a long one.
:D

LOL, that's why I was asking. You can also export in anim files, which all, or most SL viewers support now. Did you actually apply a bvh to the CP avatar? Cause I haven't been able to apply any bvh files to their avatar and got it to work properly. Oh, I see, you said you created it on the CP avatar. I'll have to wait for a working mocap converter for CP. I have brought in some custom skeleton to CP, and figured out all it's quirks. I just haven't finished them off to sell them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I made the dae animation for a CP avatar. But I enjoyed the process a lot more so would prefer that over the bvh maker software. I could import another avatar into Blender to work with.

It has been so long since I uploaded animations to SL that I am having issues stopping the animation - LOL.  I remember making them with entry frames, so not a one frame pose thing. I am thinking the animations should be fine with the looping. Just got busy working on other things and put this aside. Have to spend some time and remember how I made the old ones -- or start over :D.

CP has been quiet as a morgue for two months now. I haven't been there except to download things back to my computer :D.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.