Animation Priority Questions

Aspire Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

background info:
I just started working on animations in qavimator.
I made a 2 frame pose that only affects my left arm.

bones involved: lCollar, lShldr, lForeArm,lHand.  (these bones are posed and should be locked in place)

All other bones are unmodified. (limber, should be animateable freely by other anims/poses)

I uploaded this animation at priority 4, relaxed hands. looping 100% in and out.

When I play the animation alone it works.
When I am standing still it works.

If I walk, or sit. I can't see the animation anymore.
Animation Explorer shows it as "still playing"  So it must be getting overriden by my normal AO walk/sit anims?

Questions:
-Are AO makers really uploading dinky walks and sits as priority 4?
-If not why are they overriding my pose.?
-If they are, how do over devices overcome this issue?  I am aware of many attachments that maintain priority over these same AO animations.?

Aspire Rang wrote:

I have no idea why my own searches did not turn up this page, but a friend helpfully clued me in.  Here it is for any future hapless searcher.

Although I agree with most of what is on that page, I do wish it would suggest animation priorities for different animation tasks. The main issue is that many people automatically upload with priority 4 just so they don't have issues. There was also a good period of time when walks and run default priorities got messed up and everyone had to upload walks and runs as priority 4. Even I still have walks and runs in AOs made during that time period with priority 4. Somewhere in the forums, I made a list of all the different types of animations and what their priorities should be. I won't go over all the types of animations again, but I will make a suggestion for the specific problem that you are talking about.

Stand animations should almost always be priority 1, or 2. If you upload with priority 1, then your animation will combine with the other animations, like breathing, and will respond to your mouse. Priority 2 will not have the same affect, and should not work with breathing, or response to your mouse, unless you don't give the influenced bones some rotation.

Walks and runs should almost always be priority 3.

Sit animations should generally be a priority 3.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that yes, many folks upload walks and all sorts of other animations at 4 for their AOs. The free AOs that abound at least on other grids are particuarly notorious for this, but some of the big name animators in SL do the same thing.

I read that the newer animation would override an older one of the same priority but I haven't found that is always true.

So there really doesn't seem to be away around the purse hold thing (I tried with similar results as you) other than making an AO for the purse (that has been done and worked well).

I also found some interesting info on the SL animation wiki. I have no idea if there actually IS a way to make a priority 5 and 6 unless it was in a script somehow, but anyway. Here is the wiki page.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Animation_Priority

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.