Age and account verification

Nyll Bergbahn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is it just me or has Linden Lab confused matters? Far as I can recall, there was a recent page in Knowledge Base on age verification dating to February 2011 and it also contained details on account verification. This replaced the former Wiki pages. The current age verification page is here, altered by Jeremy Linden on the 15th April.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Age-verification/ta-p/700021

Looks like Jeremy has has deleted the account verification part and set it up on a new page here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Accessing-Adult-land-and-content/ta-p/805975

Note that on this new page it is stated that age verification works only for US citizens while on the original age verification page, it states age verification is international. I hope it still is international and that the new page is incorrect.

No mention on how account verification for non-US citizens works on the new page either, in other words, we can't add Billing Information as instructed nor can we use Paypal. This is explained in http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Local_Payments_FAQ

In the last Community Tools User Group meeting, Jeremy said they were in the process of updating the wiki information.  You might contact him directly via PM about this to clarify what is available to non-US residents.  Or, if nothing is available, when it will be available.

What Venus said, Jeremy is currently working on topic and it looks like he has confused Account & Age verification in that comment.

The Age verification page that the link takes you to doesn`t say anything about being US residents only, but Account verification requires adding payment info and the payment system for non-US residents is currently broken so they can`t get Account verified, so maybe thats what he meant by "Age verification only works for U.S. citizens at this time."

Just a thought.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

... has Linden Lab confused matters?  

Yeah, they introduced prude, mature and adult apartheid to the grid in the most disruptive, confusing manner possible.  Presumably they can't understand their own gibberish now they're looking at it.  That and 'the rest of the world' just doesn't count for the Lab.

[Pah!  I was going to add something more constructive, but just thinking about that has driven it/me out of my mind]

I suspect non-US residents being unable to add Billing Info or use Paypal is going to be the way it is now for some time yet. You're probably right, he confused age and account verification in that new page but creating this new page on the 15th would have been an ideal opportunity to include instructions for non-US residents, i.e. the necessity to buy Lindens to be account verified and only credit cards acceptable. I'll PM him.

Thanks for the heads up, Nyll.   I've put this on the agenda for Blondin Linden's next Adult Content User Group meeting (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bronlen/107/224/36 tomorrow, 18 April, at 11 am SLT, if anyone wants to attend).

ETA -- For heaven's sake!  I've just tested it by creating an alt and verifying her with my UK passport number.   It accepted it with no difficulty.

Apparently, as PeeWee suggests, Jeremy has got it completely wrong.  He seems to have confused Age Verification with Payment Info, which many people do, of course, but not all of them are paid by LL to write articles in the Knowledge Base, and then has further compounded the error by, it would seem, getting it mixed up with fact PayPal hasn't worked for non-US residents for several months.

If he isn't sure, why on earth can't he ask one of his work colleagues to check what he writes?

• Like 1

• Lindens

My mistake!  I got a little too clever for my own good while I was trying to sort out the confusing differences between "account verified" and "age verified".  The updated page for Accessing Adult land and content should now reflect the following:

Under normal circumstances, neither method of account verification should be limited to U.S. only

You can become account verified (get access to Adult-rated regions) in two different ways:
  • Add payment info to your account.  If you are Premium or have ever bought Linden dollars (L$) you've alread done this. This method makes you account verified but does not make you age verified.
  • Become age verified using the age verification form.  This makes you account verified and age verified.
Account verification is the one that allows you onto Adult regions and perform Adult searches. Age verification is a separate restriction that individual landowners can use to control access to their land.
Sorry for the confusion!

• Like 3

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Is it just me or has Linden Lab confused matters? Far as I can recall, there was a recent page in Knowledge Base on age verification dating to February 2011 and it also contained details on account verification. This replaced the former Wiki pages. The current age verification page is here, altered by Jeremy Linden on the 15th April.

Looks like Jeremy has has deleted the account verification part and set it up on a new page here:

Note that on this new page it is stated that age verification works only for US citizens while on the original age verification page, it states age verification is international. I hope it still is international and that the new page is incorrect.

No mention on how account verification for non-US citizens works on the new page either, in other words, we can't add Billing Information as instructed nor can we use Paypal. This is explained in

i cant figure out why i cant join the rooms and buy stuff and go to my house

Uhm, hi, heh, first time here... I'm here to say that out of all the help options on the help page, I cannot find at all the Manual Age Verification where the help page sent me to... does anyone know of another way? It should be under the Account Issue option, and then the second box should have the Manual age thing, but it is not there.

Help is appreciated.

Soroshi.

@Soroshi. Basic members cannot get help on manual age verification. You need Premium membership.

If the age verification process is failing for you and you are Basic, you can Account verify instead which allows you entry to most adult sims. See this page http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Accessing-Adult-land-and-content/ta-p/805975

Alternatively, take premium membership out for a month or two and and submit a ticket.

now look i am not sure how to get my adult accout but i know that im 21 i was born 11 25 89 i put billing info n its still not letting me

i put the last 4 digits in on my ssn still nothing... can some one help

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.