Why does LL allow Nazi content and marketplace content?

MsJeweI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

According to most of Constitutions of EU to practice or encourage any kind of nazi and fascistic behavior, wearing clothes, lables or education is forbidden........It is  ".forbidden to wear uniforms, parts of uniforms, clothing, labels or other characteristics which invites or encourages war and violence, national, racial or religious hatred, or any form of intolerance"

Even though LL is in the United States, how can it be seen as an ok thing?

((  Notes from this discussion  https://fetlife.com/groups/10402/group_posts/6540752  ))

4 answers to this question

The literal answer to your question must be "because it chooses to."   

The Community Standards do, of course,  forbid harassment,  and "The use of derogatory or demeaning language or images in reference to another Resident's race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation is never allowed in Second Life," but  that doesn't seem to catch the sort of BDSM cosplay you describe in the Fetlife thread, no matter how distasteful many people might find it.

My understanding was that LL doesn't much like swastikas outside of bona fide WW2 combat sims (and many combat sims don't allow them anyway, I think),   However, most, if not all, the Nazi-chic stuff I've seen people wearing in SL seems to avoid actual Nazi insignia while using designs that are visually very similar.

The thread in Fetlife you mentioned references one particular femdom sim which would appear to allow that sort of cosplay (I know the owner of the sim concerned and, while she may permit it,  I very much doubt she encourages it).      It's completely banned on many other bdsm sims, though (I'm a director of an estate of Adult sims, and we keep an eye on other estates' policies.   We don't permit Nazi cosplay on any of our regions, and neither do most of our competitors.).

The Fetlife link requires registration, btw.

ETA  I think your question would have been better posed in one of the forums rather than here -- this is supposed to a place for residents to ask for factual information and practical advice.

• Like 4

Hello MsJewel,

The simple answer is that the Constitution of the United States allows for the most hallowed of our enumerated rights which is the Freedom of Speech [and expression].

A quote from Evelyn Beatrice Hall In her biography on Voltaire where she summed up as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs states this right quite clearly.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

As a business headquartered in the US, Linden Lab [as most businesses] must allow a certain amount of Free Speech in its dealings with its customers. We even allow the discussion of intolerance both pro and con on the political stage and guarantee the right of assembly to those who would practice this on the side of denying others equal respect.

Thus the images you see from time to time of neo-nazi's parading around in faux-protest of pride or something in the US Media.

Now this all said, if you ask the question, "Can a town, village, city, county or State adopt an intolerant POV in it's laws and ordinances as they apply to its citizens?"  - The answer is of course yes! - Using our laws we do not allow for legislated or adopted ordinances to be broken or ignored. We are intolerant of law breakers [ well except for well placed con-artists in the political arena but that is another rant for another day ]

Dressing like a Nazi is not an explicitly protected act, but the right to free expression of ones beliefs is generally allowed.

Now this doesn't prevent others in the US from also assembling and protesting in opposition to your beliefs. 

Likewise, acts that directly place people in harms way are illegal across the land. Yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre in order to cause a panic is illegal.

To some extent, Social pressure in the US limits the influence of groups that align themselves with such universally hated icons of malace like Nazism. To be sure external social pressure does influence business ethics. This is why Linden Lab will act on [in its own sweet time] Abuse Reports of intolerance. This also explains the land-centric orientation of LLs TOS.

Mind you, looking like a Nazi is allowed here in SL. Acting like one in a RP region is allowed. You can manufacture content with Nazi symbols on it and sell it on the SL MarketPlace. But once a person crosses the line and starts to directly verbally abuse or disturb the general peace of another's SL experience it's an A.R. issue. But just breathing [aka existing] as a Nazi is allowed.

In my opinion, Linden Lab in the TOS has granted the owners of Parcels and Regions the right to set the rules of tolerance that they are comfortable with. I know of many places that have adopted the Constitutions of EU's language in their charters. Thus, if you show up as a Nazi, for whatever reason, you can be summarily ejected and banned without any further recourse. This works to allow land owners [like sovereign countries] to establish dominion on their property and within their borders.  

I completely understand and support the reasons that the Constitutions of EU include that language regarding intolerance and the encouragement of acts of war.

EDIT: and to answer your question 'how can it be seen as an OK thing?' directly:  - IMHO, For most people it's not an OK thing, it is simply a tolerated thing.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.