Who would I need to contact at Linden Labs regarding a business that deals with racism?

Csar Bohemian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Who would I need to contact at Linden Labs regarding a business that I have created that is an advocate for issues of discrimination?  I have review the TOS as well as the Abuse Reporting Process.

I am sure that not only the intent of the business but how it will actually function is aligned with the current polices of Linden Labs but I wish to ensure this fact.  The business is not about a political agenda it is about making the Second Life experience better.    I understand that the details of an Abuse report cannot be published but is is possible to have a case number, a date and a status that merely shows resolved or on going?  That way the submitter of the report can at least know if their case is resolved or not.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter and make it a great day.

Csar Bohemian

5 answers to this question

hi

I have reported racist attacks at help sims (PG).

use the ARs

the fact are.no one cares, and SL appear to me to do nothing.

I was force off help island as I help young people who were racist attack, to a sim were they were safe with there own country man.

Its not right that a game that international appeat to promott this, is allow to carry on in this way.

I have been ban for telling it how it is, so be careful, they can call you  n--gg-r and peaohilefile, they can promott hate aim at you, and commaned a large group of helper that will use there powers to get you ban, this for me happen from day one on arrive at the help sim.

I have had two computer wirte off and one badly damace by over heat, this happen in the help sims, it is due to lag, this the grifer can deliever to your computer in game.

be aware they can stop you this way, they have me and they have done this to lots of people, so best to keep shut and just report the crime and inform the police in your country what going on, this is best done in wirting.

please to have meet you.

enjoy SL

byee

Being a lawyer, advocate or policemen in SL is impossible. Only Lindens have the power to deal with and they won´t transfer that permission to others. You can only control the land you own.

Lindens won´t let you look into what how or if they deal with an AR and the one abused have to file the AR. Of course if more people complain about the same things happen it is likely that LL take action.

The only help you can offer is to mute, derender and ignore abusive people and avoid place that usually hosts them - like welcome areas or help islands.

Monti

• Like 2

Csar,

What's truly interesting in SecondLife is that there is a place for virtually every opinion and form of expression regarding relationships between avatars including racism. A region owner may create an experience that on the surface exhibits prima facie racist attitudes untoward the visitor. I'm reminded of the following examples: The world of GOR; The world of Avatar; The world of enslaved women; The world of sissified men; The Slave Markets in many BDSM regions and the list goes on.

Those offended by any of the aforementioned themes are best advised to not visit those places advertising such an experience. In regards to other venues where some form of anthro or avatar related form of discrimination is practiced, the rules are pretty clear "The regions/parcel/estate owner sets the rules and if you don't like them, you have the option to leave."

There are age restricted - avatar size restricted - avatar look restricted - gender restricted - sexual orientation restricted - presented race restricted venues all through SecondLife.

So my question to you is what are you actually planning on providing in the way of a service? If you are going to help those individuals who experience this type of selective racism and I'm using the classic definition of said [ 

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

] then the above facts needed to also be presented.

I personally embrace all the varied and imaginative members of the cultures I meet in SL and count so many as friends. Yet, I still perform my job [DJing] at a few venues that prefer no child or child-like avatars. Is this discrimination? Of course it is. The venue owner wishes to provide an adult anthropomorphic experience for his guests. Is this some sort of wrong that needs to righted? No.  It's simply one business owners preferences in providing his vision to others of a like mind in SL. Does this business owner need to be called to task for this decision? No. If his vision is not what the clientele he seeks wants, then that will be reflected in his visitor numbers and be self-correcting.

On the other hand, if an individual visits an otherwise public forum and abuses another because of their own beliefs, then they are out of line in the eyes of SL and the TOS. That venue owner should deal with this behaviour but many times that is not possible. This is what the Abuse Reporting system is for.

As a reminder of my earlier position; if you visit "The world of enslaved women" and are captured and caged and otherwise abused consistent with that venue's claimed charter, you have no right to complain. Just leave and never return there again. If you visit the local public Latin music venue and experience the same, you probably should A.R the abuser, inform the venue owner of the situation and once again, leave.

Some common sense needs to be applied.

So You may start your business to be sure. If you are a trained counselor, do advise your clients accordingly. Also do understand what SecondLife is about and what is is NOT about. SL is NOT the Virtual World of Political or Social Correctness.

• Like 3

You don't need to get LL's approval for your "business"...and you won't.

Not because the people at LL are racist, but because, as KarenMichelle says, there's room for a lot of different opinions and lifestyles in Second Life.  Linden Lab will not be the morals police, nor will they assist you in taking on that role.

I suggest following KarenMichelle and Monti's advice.  Jeffrey1's advice illustrates what can happen if you insist on trying to impose your own view of "proper" behavior on other people.

Second Life is a big place, and everyone has tools to "silence" people that they don't care for.  If someone is mean to you, you can mute them, and/or go elsewhere.

• Like 2

You can only file an AR and then move on. LL will never tell you anything about the outcome. I don't know what you are planning to teach people, because the way one has to deal with discrimination and harassement in Second Life is always the same: AR, mute and move on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.