How do I sell my linden dollars? How do I get the money in real life? Don't want to use the $ on SL

Barry Rawley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everybody. I am curious as to how I can sell my Linden dollars. I understand it is on the exchange, but I have been scared to click the 'sell' button because I don't know what is going to happen to the money. I am abviously interested in receiving this money in RL but don't understand how I am going to without giving Linden Labs my financial information.

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am a long time Second Life user, however haven't been in world in a long time.

Thanks everybody!

2 answers to this question

As you rightly surmise, LL can't, and won't, let you cash out unless they have payment information (preferably PayPal) for you.

The only way LL will transfer US$ to you is via PayPal (assuming you are in a country where this service is available to you). They will also transfer money via bank transfer, but only over US$10,000, so that's probably of academic interest only.   Futhermore, they won't let you sell L$ before you've had a "billing transaction" with them (have Payment info on file and made a successful purchase using it).   The amount you can then sell depends on how long it is since the first billing transaction.  See the page on Billing and Trading Limits for more details.

Anyway, to sell your L$. go to your dashboard and click "Manage" in the left-hand column under "Linden Exchange."   This opens a submenu, Manage Your L$.  Click "Sell L$."  

You now have two options, a Market Sell (sell immediately at the going rate) or a Limit Sell (offer to sell, at a more advantageous -- to you -- rate when the market rate has moved to your posted level).    Since the L$ doesn't move much, I strongly suggest doing a Market Sell, at least for the first time, because it's simpler and , unless you're selling huge amounts of L$,  you're only going to make pennies on the deal by doing a Limit Sell.

Assuming you're doing a Market Sell, enter the amount  you want to sell, and it will tell you the approximate proceeds after LL's transaction charges.   If you're content with that, press Sell.   The L$ should be debited from your account and the US$ credited immediately.

Click Manage again.  This time, choose "Process Credit" near the bottom of the list.   This should open the process cedit window, where, if LL don't have a PayPal account on file for you, you will be prompted to provide details.   I can't help you with that, I'm afraid, since they've had mine on file for years, so I can't remember what I did.

Anyway, once you've provided them with your PayPal details, you should find yourself at the Process Credit window.   Enter the US$ amount you want to transfer, and press the appropriate button.  You'll be prompted for your SL password a couple of times during the process, so have it to hand.

The money can (and probably will) take upto 5 US working days to hit your PayPal account.   Further details here, which I strongly suggest you read.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.