Do SL creators need to pay a fee in order to name their products after a game character,brand etc?

Rokherytza Uxlay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I see many products on marketplace named after characters from different games or movies.Poison Ivy,Samara etc. Do game creators actually allow that in Sl?and i'm not only asking about outfits but also decorations like statues or anything that represents a game character or has that name.Is that allowed?

2 answers to this question

Rolig is spot on with her answer.  I'll just add that a few creators have purchased a license from the person who hold the Intellectual Property (IP) rights to items they make.  However unless the company feels it is free advertising they pay a lot for them.

Most of what you see is in violation and they just haven't been caught - yet.  All it takes is one person notifying the IP owner of the existence of those items. If the IP owner then files a DMCA then those merchants are possibly in a world of legal trouble in RL , because the IP owner can sue them, and will have tons of mad customers that have the things they bought disappear from their inventory without being reimbursed for them.  It's not worth it and I would steer clear of any that you see unless you contact the creator and they produce a valid license.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.